Information about all the LVs and PVs within a VG. The first 64K of a PV is reserved for this area – defined in <sys/bootrecord.h>.
The VGDA consists of
- BOOTRECORD: – first 512 bytes. Allows the Read Only System (ROS) to boot system
- BAD BLK DIRECTORY – found in <sys/bddir.h>
- LVM RECORD – found in <lvmrec.h>
You can find below the meaning of each parameter on Volume Group Characteristics (the output from lsvg vg command):
- Volume Group: Name of Volume Group.
- VG State: active/partial. Partial indicates that some of the Physical Volumes in the Volume Group are not active.
- VG Permission: It indicates if the volume group is read-only or read-write.
- Max LVs: Maximum number of Logical Volumes allowed in Volume Group.
- LVs: Total number of Logical Volumes at present in Volume Group.
- Open LVs: Number of LVs open at present in the Volume Group for any Read Write operation.
- Total PVs: Total number of Physical Volumes present in Volume Group.
- Stale PVs: How many stale Physical Volumes are there in Volume Group. The stale Physical Volumes are those ones on which I/O operations are not possible.
- Active PVs: Total number of Physical Volumes which are active in Volume Group.
- Max PPs per VG: Maximum no. of Physical Partitions which can be there in the Volume Group.
- Max PPs per PV: Maximum number of Physical Partitions which can be there in Physical Volume.
- VG Identifier: The very long string to identify Volume Group.
- PP Size: The size of Physical Partition used in every Physical Volume of Volume Group.
- Total PPs: Total number of Physical Partitions in Volume Group.
- Free PPs: Total number of free Physical Partitions with in Volume Group.
- Used PPs: Total number of Physical Partitions in use in Volume Group.
- Quorum: Whether the quorum is on or not in Volume Group.
- VG Descriptors: Number of Volume Group Descriptor Areas(VGDA) in Volume Group.
- Stale PPs: How many Physical Partitions are stale or unable to perform I/O operations.
- Auto On: Whether the Volume Group will varyon on system startup or not.
- Max PVs: Maximum number of Physical Volumes allowed in this Volume Group.
- Auto Sync: Whether this Volume Group should sync automatically or not.
- BB Policy: Its bad block relocation policy. So, this value here is relocatable, that means we are allowed to relocate bad blocks in this Volume Group if need be.